I was teaching a creative writing class today and was asked where I get my ideas and inspirations.
I was also asked if i stick to one project and see it through to its conclusion forsaking all else.
The answer is…..
I have one method which I stick to and it works for me, that is not to say it will work for everyone. We can but try…
I have a main project which is my Novel, to this I write 2,000 words every day without fail.
Just like an athlete in training i don’t just jump right in there i warm up first… I do some free form, that is to say I sit down and write the first thing that comes into my mind for 10 – 15 mins.
Often my free form warbling makes no logical sense, but I have called upon it time and again for inspiration when creating a character, an idea for a story or development. Its like having hundreds of seeds each with the potential to grow independently into something amazing.
Just to demonstrate how random these thoughts can be my ten to fifteen minutes of free form follow.
Hope you enjoy, as always all comments welcome x
Very Random Free Form Thoughts
1. Been exercising my body today. Now it’s the turn of the mind, the creativity. To turn the all knowing cogs and prove that there is always an undiscovered treasure, some little gem than can be found by randomly unearthing the rocks in my mind.
2. You know if you don’t take the steering wheel, if you don’t make the decisions you’d rather avoid they get made for you. That’s something I will not let happen.
You know the feeling, a bill arrives. There it is on your doorstep, staring at you, the contents practically burning through the unassuming white or brown envelope into the part of your mind that has its own front door; the one that is locked, the one with the letterbox boarded up.
Welcome to the house of avoidance and acceptance unto the will of others.
3. Time travel cannot be but the sanction of the weak and helpless.
The ultimate escape is also the infinite prison, the one with invisible walls and with a slight colour correction one cannot help but to be mesmerized by the worst time of your life.
4. Helpless hands make infinite work thank you very much.
5. Why don’t you try picking up something that is in more keeping with your sexuality?
6. Want some abs?
You can borrow mine, if you can find them.
I must really value my abdominal muscles. I have hidden them behind layers and layers of fat.
No one will think about looking there.
People should try that with all valuable possessions: jewelery, DVDs, homes and children.
Cover them all with fat and no one will want to touch them.
7. Ahhh that explains obese children.
The parents of these legged beached whales are, far from the current conception, actually very caring people, they are merely ensuring no one will kidnap them… and if they did, well lets face it they would be easy to spot in a park, just look for the eclipse.
I have nothing against fat kids, like any writer that writes about murder death and the mayhem that ensues when one’s mind is moved a little to the left and twisted slowly till all that is decent and holy leaves on a number seven bus I like to swim in the pool of the forbidden expressing the very thoughts others don’t like to admit to.
8. Hahahahaha ohhh I love this life. Don’t you???
9. I gotta say doing this is the best release. Well so is playing guitar. I like that too. And I’m pretty sure I can still rock it with the best of them.
10. When did I become such a believer?
I’ve been perceived as captain cynic but that’s not me. I’ve turned my back on my true self for so long, for fear in part that I wouldn’t be accepted, mainly by myself.
I cry more at the words I love you than anything else but always had a problem when someone said those words to me.
Well that’s not true.
My mom, dad, sisters and especially my children, saying I love you is a daily pre requisite… but from a significant other?
I never thought it possible.
Maybe all people are not the same.
….. and breathe.